Friday, August 19, 2011

Time-Wasting Experimental Blog Post

Why on earth would I spend two hours trying to fix my blog so the archives show on the side where they belong, instead of at the bottom where no one can find them? I have no idea. I don't know why I should care about this, but I do. It's not as if I expect anyone to read this blog--it was created purely as a motivational tool for myself, so that I could practice writing and hopefully learn to enjoy it.

So, the purpose of this particular post is so that I can see whether Blogger simply didn't like my previous entry, about progress and bad days, or whether it doesn't like anything I write. Whatever happens, no matter how badly my page is messed up, I will force myself to abandon, at least for this evening, the silly task of trying to fix my unread blog.

Instead, I will watch the first lesson from the Remedial Swimming video I just received from eBay, then go to the gym to try it out. I can go play guilt-free, because I already kept my writing appointment for the day!!

Update:
The reason I spent over 2 hours trying to fix a blog no one reads is that I am too dumb, proud, or something, to scroll through the Blogger help forums to see if anyone else has ever had the same problem. Once I did that, I discovered the culprit was a stray </div>. Once it was obliterated, not only did my archives come running back home, but all the links, stubbornly unclickable in Firefox, magically came to life. If my time-wasting resulted in a lesson learned, then it wasn't totally wasted...hopefully I learned my lesson. Here, I got two lessons for the price of one: a Remedial HTML lesson, and a Read the Tech Help lesson. Thank you, Blogger techies!

3 comments:

bulletholes said...

Amazingly, the Blogger help forums really do work when you give them a chance.
Hi Jen!
I go to a blog you might like called "The Futility Closet"....lots of fun exasperating math games there. And More!

Jen T said...

Um, thanks, but I'm not sure that an emphasis on futility and a bunch of math games would be good for the dissertation...wait, I hope you're not saying the dissertation is an exercise in futility!!? Thanks for stopping by!

bulletholes said...

no, it was not meant that way at all! I guess what i meant to suggest was that part of writing is reading. By reading your blog, I was inspired to two posts this month that would have otherwise gone unwritten. Futility Closet does more than Math Games, and has a great style of introducing material.
Hi Jen!