Thursday, February 2, 2012

Snazzy Ware Selection of the Hebdomad: Write or Die

www.writeordie.com by Dr. Wicked

This is an oh-so-nifty tool for so-called writers who are having difficulty making themselves write.

In case you are wondering about the odd title, it is explained here, in my first Snazzy Ware Selection of the Hebdomad, now quite a few hebdomads ago.

As you may or may not know, my "writing streak", in which I wrote at least 30 consecutive minutes on my dissertation every single day, died back in December, at the ripe old age of 145 days. After it died, I went on an "avoid the dissertation altogether" streak of 16 days. Eventually I figured out this was not a good plan, and began to flirt again with the dissertation proposal, writing something at least every few days. While this was marginally more productive than avoiding it altogether, it caused me to not only lose momentum, but also to lose something less tangible, but perhaps more valuable. I realized that during the four and a half months I had spent visiting my dissertation every single day, Diss and I had actually developed a friendship, or at least a pleasant sense of companionship, a comfort in one another's company. Now, after being out of touch over the holidays, our friendship had cooled. There was no outright animosity, but our relationship had ceased to grow. I had forgotten some things about Diss that I should have remembered, and I think Diss had forgotten some important things about me. So, I have tried to get back into the habit of visiting Diss every day.This is only our 26th consecutive day being together again, but already I sense an improvement in our relationship.

Unfortunately, tonight I simply wasn't in the mood to have a deep, serious conversation with Diss. But I didn't want to let our friendship lapse again, and I didn't want Diss to feel neglected. Most importantly, I wanted Diss to know that our relationship was sufficiently important that I wouldn't risk losing it by missing our daily talk. If a relationship dies, it doesn't usually die all at once--it fades away, and the fading begins when one of the parties lets it slip into unimportance, laid aside for supposedly more important things.

So, since I didn't feel up to a serious conversation with Diss, but I knew we had to talk, I went to www.writeordie.com.

Go to www.writeordie.com, click on Web App, and you'll see a little tool that will get you writing, whether you feel like it or not. For your goal, you can choose either a set time or a set number of words. Then you choose the punishment, gentle, medium, or kamikaze. You can choose the grace period, again either gentle, medium, or evil. These may not be exactly the correct adjectives. I cannot go back and verify them because I set the "Write or Die" app to kamikaze mode, with the evil grace period. I am not sure how long the evil grace period actually is, but supposedly if I pause in my writing too long, the kamikaze mode will start erasing my words. My screen is flashing rather weird shades of red and orange, which I think is my warning that the kamikaze bombers are coming. I think it begins flashing pink, then orange, and when it gets to red, you know you're in trouble. According to the documentation, if you pause too long in your writing, your computer will start to make evil noises. So far, my computer has been utterly silent. Perhaps my sound card is incompatible with Dr. Wicked's evil noises. But I do not doubt him...if I do not keep writing continuously, I will get erased!

This entire blog post has been written on Dr. Wicked's Write or Die website, with the web app set on Kamikaze/Evil. I have decided that I am not allowed to edit this at all, except for whatever little bit of editing I can manage while still avoiding the kamikaze eraser.

According to Dr. Wicked, the online web app will be free forever, but you can buy the desktop version for just $10. Check it out!!

Please don't erase my words!! Please, please, please....I'm almost done!!!

4 comments:

bulletholes said...

The evil noises are like Jack Benny and his violin. Thats the initial annoying noise. I didn't stick around for whatever the next round might have been.
This didnt work for me.
What works for me is reading. To me, reading is writing. And writing is reading.
The app didn't really do anything for me, but your post made me happy to read, and I giggled, and now that i am leaving you a comment, I am suddenly involved in this thing called language and i can just let the keys do the talking for me. That really is how it works for me; so many of my stories are sprung from talking to someone, and if I have trouble writing a story I just start pretending (tho its not really pretending)that i am talking to someone, and let my fringers do the talking.
So are you well Jen? I am taking lots of me3dicine these days, but I am hanging in there.
I actually went for a run two days ago....I ran from the door of the meeting place top my truck, and then I ran back again and I know it doesnt sound like much, but I ran pretty good. My gait was appropriate to my body mass, and I moved my arms like you should do when you are running, and the thing is it felt kinda good, that little jog, and I thought maybe i might do it again and before long I might get to where it feels like i am running downhill, just like right now I feel like I am writing downhill. like a Kamakazi!
Hi Jen!
Thansk for the writing prompt!
I'm not going to edit, just to see how my typing is. I'll just let the chips land where they may.

bulletholes said...

Pretty dang good. I come a long ways!

Jen T said...

Howdy Steve, so glad you tried out Write or Die. I think it has value, but I will probably reserve it for when I am really stuck and unmotivated and can't get myself to write anything at all. It might help me when I have to write uphill.

Congrats on the run too! My running feels all uphill lately--writing's going better than running.

Jeff Rivera said...

Write or Die kicks ass. I know it helped me a lot, Steve. The thing is I had to beat something more evil: my addiction to the Internet that was preventing me from getting any of my writing done.

That's why I created this software that blocks the Internet until I've written my daily word count. I'm letting people beta-test it if you'd like. Just let me know. Here's the link to it: http://bit.ly/TNPCVm